What Is Git and GitHub?
In this Series of Git and GitHub am going to explain what is Git and GitHub, how to create your very own GitHub repositories, commits, add changes and everything entailed in version control. So jump in and lets ride this Git train together.
Let's get started:
What is Version Control ?
In simple terms we can describe version control as a system to record and manage changes made to files and folders and it also to track changes made overtime, including adding, deleting, modifying files.
Perhaps you are wondering where does git and GitHub come in 🤔? Well version control is mainly used for code and git will help create the relationship between your local work and online one in GitHub. It's also used in other files, example in google docs.
Why Use Version Control ?
- Version control allows one to record/save changes made to files over time.
- Allows for different people from different locations to work on the same project at the same time.
- If you made a mistake and need to revert to the previous version of your work you can quickly do so.
- If you lost your project work, you can easily retrieve the last version of the saved project.
What is Git ?
Well, git is the software that is utilized for this version control system. Just as it states on the git website:
Git is a free and open source distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency.
What is GitHub ?
To explain it in layman's terms, GitHub can be defined as a web server that allows Git to be more powerful. With GitHub you can do team collaborations, it has inbuilt extensions hence more powerful features and amazingly the also have their own application.
Through the combination of
Git + GitHub = Social Coding
Through this combination you are able to work with anyone anywhere and save your progress as you progress, now that the relation of Git and GitHub.
Stay tuned for the next article in the series
If You have read this far I really appreciate:
Check out my other Blogs too:
- Useful Resources for Programmers and Web Developers
- Key Differences Between A Website and Web Application
- Know The Difference Between Coding and Programming
- Best Visual Studio Code Extensions For Web Developers
Do share your valuable opinion, I appreciate your honest feedback!
Enjoy Coding ❤